Sunday, July 26, 2015

My Second Tamiya 58005 Tamiya Toyota Celica Turbo LB

As noted in my previous post, I absolutely love this particular model and had managed to get hold of a NIB kit. I did however also want a built version of this car if possible as I generally prefer to collect built models. To me seeing the actual cars rather than a box of parts is much more satisfying, so the decision was made to try and hunt down a built version. I was not expecting a perfect shelf queen for sure given how old these models were but I was hoping for one they only would need to be lightly restored.

As luck would have it, this auction popped up on eBay exactly around the time that I decided to shop for a built model.

Incredibly excited to see this car was owned by the sellers father. It was built and never run per the description  and put into cold storage. Based on the condition of the chassis I believe the description.

When the item arrived the chassis showed that it had most likely never been used and was almost certainly a display model more than being a runner. Or if used, it was barely run and most likely only indoors.


Love the way the original builder even put servo tape on the motor so that the speed control would not rub on  the case of the motor.





Tires show zero sign of use since being put on the car. 

Unfortunately the shell had not stood the test of time as well as I had hoped, and this was further exaggerated by the shipping that caused additional damage to this very fragile shell.


Sadly the shell broke in shipment as the above picture shows. Indeed it was not broken at the time the auction occured based on the auction pictures.


Luckily Tamiya has rereleased the shell, albeit in white plastic now rather than in the blue, and without the chrome wing. The shell was apparently made for a specific model exhibition/show in limited numbers and was only sold at the exhibition, hence the relative rarity of the shell. Luckily, through eBay this shell can still be found for around USD100. The fact the shell did not come with the chrome wing was not a big problem for me given that the chrome wing on the car I purchased was still in excellent condition. I also managed to find the alternate sticker set from another fantastic Japanese ebayer so that I could make the red and white liveried version of the car if desired.

Strangely I feel that I may not now replace the shell as the damaged shell truly shows the car and how it has stood the test of time over the years. The patina just seems to add to the history of this car that was sold to me by a seller whose father this car belonged to and it somehow feels wrong to scavenge and part out this model. I think I will place it into a custom made modern case to accentuate the history capsule that this car is.











No comments:

Post a Comment