Friday, July 31, 2015

Associated RC12iS monoshock suspension front end

I am a very very happy guy.

And I love the vintage RC car collecting community. 

I have only been doing this collecting thing for a year or so and yet I have already met some really really good guys. You know who you are. There are always bad apples. Selfish dollar grabbing sorts that only does something if it benefits them. And then there are the guys that are truly passionate and become good friends. 

Well, as was mentioned in my last post I have been hunting high and low for an Associated 12i with monoshock front end as I used to run one when I was a youngster in the 80s. And I happened to mention this to a collector who I had gotten to know from Hong Kong and had purchased a number of gorgeous cars from previously. He immediately knew of another friend of his that apparently had one for sale. 

I was soon contacted by the gentleman with the 12i monoshock car for sale and before I knew it he was sending me pictures of a gorgeous example of my most favourite 1/12 pan car, and letting me know that he had some spare parts that he could pass me to bring the car to a much closer level of perfection.

These are the pictures of the car that he sent me. I had asked that he just put the new parts on the car, and while he was at it he decided to throw some vintage Schumacher quick release hubs on the car as well. What a champ.






What is it that interests me so much about this car? Well, it was the last 1/12 that I had purchased and run during my youth and I really loved the advanced design of the monoshock front end. It was like nothing else available at the time.

Whilst it honestly didn't seem to perform any better than the older spring set up it was a brilliant piece of design that was so far ahead of the game to me. This lack of advantage from the more complex design meant that this car did not last long in its design before the 12L replaced it with a much more conventional front end. To me though this is the most desirable of the 12i variants though all mean a lot to me given I ran all the versions. I now need to find the first version of the 12i and I will be complete.

Update: the car has arrived and I could not be happier. Needs a couple changes to make it perfect including the graphite stiffener, mounting the ride height adjuster, changing the radio plate screws and if lucky finding a new radio plate as this one has an epoxy repair to a hole that was drilled most likely for a roll over antenna. But this is a real memory blast for me.










No comments:

Post a Comment