Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Novak Obsession

I have been an absolutely huge fan of the early Novak creations.

Back when I was growing up, the Novak Nes-1A servo captivated me. I used to remember reading about these mini servos (now not considered so mini) and how the top racers were using them. From there, and with the advent of the electronic speed control, the Nesc 1 and 4 caught caught my imagination.

Unfortunately for me, a lack of money combined with a lack of local hobby shop support for Novak meant that the closest I could get to these items was reading about them in the various foreign publications.

But the dream of owning some orange stuff never escaped me, and I have now begun to slowly collect some Novak stuff specifically in the era of when I was growing up. I have decided to stop short of beyond 1990 as that was more when I began to lose interest in RC, even though strangely my one and only purchase of a Novak back in the day was of a 410-Mxc which dated to somewhere around 1991. I never used that esc, and I always yearned after the earlier stuff. I even think the purchase of the 410 was a bit of a temporary measure that allowed me to quell my desires for a Novak for another 20 over years.

I have found that buying the right stuff in the era I am looking at is not the easiest thing. Probably because I predominantly only look on eBay. But here are some of the items I have collected (condition varies but I have been more about collecting what I wanted as a kid regardless of condition, and then seeing if I can find a better example as time goes on.... Another one of my temporary measures no doubt.

1982 Nes-1A servo: this little servo was the one that kicked it off for me. The successor to the Bantam Midget, it was the servo of choice by many top level competitors. Not the easiest Novak item to source, this was my first purchase of vintage Novak stuff.





1983 Ner-2S receiver: the first receiver from Novak I believe, this one was seen in a lot of the 1/12 racers cars at the time. Considered exceptionally small and light at the time, it was amazing when compared to the huge economy blocks of plastic I was using from Futaba in the day.


1985 Nesc-1 speed controller: this was the world championship winning esc for modified buggies (used in an RC10 Associated), but I had always wanted one put into my 1/12 RC12i. I really struggled to find a single example of this for sale, and ended up with this particular esc off eBay. Not the best condition but should clean up well, and given I had not seen another for sale since, I was just happy to have this one.




Sometime later though thanks to an RC10talk member I managed to track down the holy grail for me of vintage esc, absolutely new in package. This one is an amazing find.





1985 Nesc-4 speed controller: this was the stock motor version of the world championship winning esc. I have bought multiple examples of this esc as they seem to be a bit more common than the Nesc-1 and I want to stuff a few of these one day into some of my older cars.


1987 Ner-2x receiver: the follow up to the 2S, this receiver was considerably smaller than the 2s.


No comments:

Post a Comment