Sunday, August 9, 2015

Serpent Quattro Mk4 4wd

There is truly nothing more satisfying than finally securing a car that one has been hunting down for some time.

The Mk4 Quattro is another car with huge memories for me even though I never ran one in anger when younger. The reason is simple. Back in the day when the Quattro first came out with this 4wd version (the first 4wd from Serpent), I had miraculously managed to scour together enough cash to buy one brand new.

On one of a number of trips to Singapore, I paid a visit to S'wan Model and Trading (a truly institutional hobby shop in Singapore that has existed for as long as I have been interested in radio control cars) and picked a brand new kit. I even remember that at the time I was staying at the Holiday Inn though whether it was along Scott's Road or the other further up along Orchard Road u cannot remember.

But I digress.

The crazy part about this car was that I never completed the build on it and accordingly never ran it. Soon after acquiring this car I began to lose interest in RC cars and the kit went into hibernation, semi complete. Many years later, I remember still seeing the semi complete kit sitting in my old workshop area in my parents garage. Whilst it had escaped many big house cleaning exercises, it was finally thrown out as an unwanted toy when I left home and moved permanently to Singapore for work.

This car was forgotten over time, but much like the Associated RC12i became a case of unrequited love. And so the search began for a good example of this car to replace the mint condition car that was so waste fully thrown out all those years before. But it turned out to be incredibly hard to find a good example at s reasonable price. There were many examples of very rough cars up for sale at exorbitant prices that left me quite demotivated to actively search out this car over time. But then a seller from France that I had gotten to know had identified a potential lead to a car that he could restore to good condition for me. And hence the patient wait for the car started.

But strangely as things go... As they say... When it rains it storms. And not soon long after this, another example came up for sale that was in great condition and very well priced with period correct engine. Being quick to secure this is sample, the following pictures were sent to me of the car that is now on its way to Singapore. It's a great looking example and the price was right for me. Once the car itself arrives I will take more pictures. But in the meantime some pictures that have been sent to me...







No comments:

Post a Comment