Friday, September 18, 2015

PB Diamond

And the PB roll continues.

This particular example is a PB Diamond, the last 1/8 on road car produced by the PB company. From what I understand, the Diamond was the longest standing model in the PB range.

The model itself was elaborately made utilising CNC machining techniques on the suspension arms to ensure minimal flex. A very expensive technique, this was considered a very elaborate chassis.the car also utilised what is now a relatively common design, the floating rear body mount to keep the shell at the same height on the track regardless of suspension travel. No piece was left without full machining and detail, this was truly a work of art, and to me was the precursor to the SMP Slide. In many ways this car was really a machining work of art.

The example I managed to source was a new built kit that has never been run. Clearly this example was stored right as there are zero signs of Aging, even amazingly on the foam tires. A true time warp piece that goes with the Nova in my collection in terms of quality. Another example I will never sell, this is quite possibly the best PB Diamond in existence today. Looking through the instructions I still can't imagine having to build one of these cars back in the day.























The last in the line of the Diamond was the Black Diamond, which from what I understand had additional changes to it beyond the black anodising but am still trying to seek out exactly what these differences were. Have found someone who actually raced one of the Black Diamonds back in the day and will hopefully in due course be able to find out more information on this variant compared with the older model I have :).

Unfortunately finding much more information on this car is pretty hard so please do contact me if you all have more information on this or any other items I have on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment